Monday, June 8, 2009

Truth defined

The "Truth" that I am focused on is definition #5a of thefreedictionary.com: reality or actuality. There are alot of things we accept as true, but are not necessarily verified facts, nonetheless we treat them as such anyhow. Gravity, as far as I know is not a proven thing. There probably is some obscure bit of proof out there that I don't know about, but that just makes my point. Even when we don't have or know all the facts, we believe it exists. Call it faith, belief, whatever... we do it. I see my 2 year old son standing on the couch, and I have a belief... he will jump off and gravity will introduce his face to the corner of the TV stand. I don't worry about the ceiling fan, because I know he will fall down not go up up up like he wishes he could. I believe it. I have faith.

Now let's say you have a revelation, you read something, watched something, whatever and you come to realize that gravity doesn't really exist or at least not the way you thought it did. Sure, at first your skeptical, but as time goes on it starts to make more and more sense... gravity isn't pulling you, the atmosphere is pushing you, or the sun, or stars or whatever. But your reality has changed, your actuality, your truth about gravity. You dont say much about it to anyone, because they won't believe you, understand what your talking about, or even care since there completely comfortable believing what you used to. Nonetheless, you can't go back to the old way of thinking, and it changes how you view so much of what is important to you life. Not talking about little trivial things, but foundations of who you are and what you do. Like gravity, it is a big deal.

So I guess more of what I am speaking of is BELIEF and what I believe to be TRUE. Much of what I have been accepting and believing to be true is changing. Things that define me like career, education, parenting, values, success, church, community, family, and yes even God (more about God and who he is and what he wants from me rather than his existence). And it seems that many of these truths are coming faster than I can fully process them, so I am using this blog as a 21st century means to organize and develop my thoughts. I welcome your input and will try not to proclaim too much as absolute truth (although I will get there eventually) and have no agenda or purpose other than to make sense of the hundreds of thoughts that are brewing in my head at any one moment.

So, what do I believe is TRUE?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Howard,I justed came over from Krisy's blog. First congratulations!!! You are now the Daddy to the most beatuiful baby girl in the world! And, I think your blog is great, good idea! I'll stop by often.
    I think we have all been in some situation where we realize things have changed, be it an outward sign or something more private and personal, and know it will never be the same again.You put it very nicely.Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change....think about it? It's the only thing that stays the same. How we handle and believe change will effect our life can be mind boggling. This world of ours will never be the same,nor should it be.....we need to be prepared and to help our children be ready for whatever challanges come their way.. and there will be many.

    ReplyDelete